
The one thing I miss about riding the Go Train to and from work is reading. It was a time that seemed to be purposely set aside for just that. And while I haven't read a novel in quite some time, I still buy the odd book in hopes of getting a chance to read it someday. When I was in Chapters a while ago, I saw the book Always Looking Up: The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist by Michael J. Fox. I really enjoy reading autobiographies (The Diary of Anne Frank is what sparked my interest) especially when I can relate in some way to the topic so I knew this was one that had to go on my reading list. I picked the book up at Costco yesterday and can't wait to open it. I think I'll actually take a moment after writing this to look at it since Bella is napping on the couch and I have a fresh cup of chai tea made (ok, it's been re-heated once but only once and it's hot so it's as good as fresh in my books). Since I've been feeling pretty blah lately, I've been trying to surround myself with positive energy. I think this book might do the trick today -- the title says it all ALWAYS LOOKING UP!
I think I'll also check out his other book Lucky Man. I probably should be reading Lucky Man first but since I already bought Always Looking Up, I'll make it my starting point.
A quote from Always Looking Up by Michael J. Fox
At the turn from our bedroom into the hallway, there is an old full-length mirror in a wooden frame. I can't help but catch a glimpse of myself as I pass. Turning fully toward the glass, I consider what I see. This reflected version of myself, wet, shaking, rumpled, pinched, and slightly stooped, would be alarming were it not for the self-satisfied expression pasted across my face. I would ask the obvious question, "What are you smiling about?," but I already know the answer: "It just gets better from here."
At the turn from our bedroom into the hallway, there is an old full-length mirror in a wooden frame. I can't help but catch a glimpse of myself as I pass. Turning fully toward the glass, I consider what I see. This reflected version of myself, wet, shaking, rumpled, pinched, and slightly stooped, would be alarming were it not for the self-satisfied expression pasted across my face. I would ask the obvious question, "What are you smiling about?," but I already know the answer: "It just gets better from here."
2 comments:
Chai tea sounds great! How do you make it or does it come in a tea bag? My sister always talks about it. Ever since my big flare up 2 years ago my short term memory has been affected. I used to love to read. And now I can't seem to remember what I just read 2 minutes ago. I keep trying to work at it and hopefully it will come back.
I just use a tetley tea bag and add milk and some sugar. Nothing fancy but very yummy!
Interesting to hear about your memory. I've always wondered if I'm just not concentrating enough or if it really is the MS affecting my memory...hmmm.
Post a Comment