Friday, June 12, 2009

Bernice & Me

I'm just reading my MRI report that the doctor faxed over to me. It says my brain is leaking....um, leaking? MY BRAIN IS LEAKING??? Wait a sec. Oh no, no-no. I read that wrong. It says lesions, not leaking. Phew, that was close. Crappy fax ink!

So, what does the report really say? A bunch of jib jab fancy schmancy big ass medical terms when all it really needs to say is "There are x amount of lesions/plaques...here, here and here" with a nice diagram of the brain and spinal column showing the location and size of each one. Really, is that too much to ask for? Thankfully, I took Medical Administration in College and used to work in a hospital so I can figure out some of what's being said in these reports. Ha ha...trying to outsmart this blond-haired, blue-eyed Canadian, eh?! Nice try Dr. Ginzburg, MD FRCP (C) LMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ ...now I know my ABC's. Next time won't you sing with me.

So, here it is...because inquiring minds what to know!

MRI HEAD

Multisequence multiplantar MRI of the head was performed using an MS protocol.

There are multiple hyperintense foci in the white matter of the cerebral hemispheres, several of which are oriented perpendicular to the ventricles, highly suggestive of demyelination. The largest is in the left posterior parietal white matter and measures 1.5 cm.

None of the lesions enhance with gadolinium. Therefore There is no definite evidence of current activity.

There you have it folks, my brain is leaking....um, I mean has lesions (nothing I didn't know already but there seems to be more showing now than on my last MRI nine years ago).

Ok, it's about time my 1.5 cm foci and I head to bed (I think I'll call her Bernice). At least I'm not loosing my mind like I initially thought.

2 comments:

sheba said...

leaking??? uh oh. "Therefore There is no definite evidence of current activity." um, i think you might actually be losing your mind. don't worry, i'll still love you and read your blog even if it's all in gibberish!

Paula said...

Um, oh no, I think you might be right....hehe ;)