Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Sticky Situation

It's no secret that one of my favourite stores is HomeSense (but if you haven't heard, you can read about it here, here, here, here and here). They have some great items for a fraction of the price than you would find them somewhere else. Take this lamp for example. I found it at HomeSense for $59.99 CDN (includes the shade) while Pottery Barn sells one very similar for $80 US for the base and $40+ US for the shade.

There's just one thing that irks me about HomeSense -- their price tags. I don't mean the ones that hang from the lamps by those plastic string-like doohickey things that you can easily snip off with a pair of scissors but rather the ones that are stuck on the items like glue. I've never seen anything like them. They always leave a sticky mess which ends up with me busting out the nail polish remover or the Goo Gone to get rid of the stickiness.

The sticker isn't even in one piece -- there is a detailed circle pattern throughout so instead of peeling the sticker off all at once you have to pick at it until your nails have peeled right along with it.

Not only that, most times they manage to pick the worst spot ever to put the sticker like right on the front glass of a picture frame...grrr! What is with that? Ok, I get it. Maybe it will deter people from picking up the frame, having the frame slip out of their hand and crash on the ground, but if someone is thinking of buying something, then in all likelihood, they're going to pick the item up to inspect it anyway.


I know I'm not the only one who is frustrated with these sticky price tags. I often hear others ranting about them as I'm wandering the aisles or standing in line.

HomeSense, you have a good thing going. Please make your sticky price tags a good thing too! My nails will thank you, and so will I.

4 comments:

Stacey said...

I agree. And they aren't the only ones who do that. I can recall buying used DVDs from Blockbuster who would put these horrible stickers on the paper part of the cover, even. I don't understand the point of the price tags being that awful to remove.

Faiza said...

i feel your frustration. it irks me when those labels/stickers are on books! they ruin the covers, spines and back covers. but...a deal is a deal and that usually makes me feel better!

sheba said...

ugh, i get the heebie jeebies trying to get those tags off...something about the slimyness of the glue getting under my nails. thank goodness for goo gone!

teaformeplease said...

I hate when they do that very frustrating!