Thursday, September 24, 2009

Desk Makeover

In the upstairs hallway sits a wonderful desk and mirror that once belong to my grandmother along with many other pieces that are scattered throughout our house. I adored her furniture growing up. The dark wood, the timeless lines -- that little something you can only find in an old piece. I was very happy to inherit these beautiful pieces. The desk is a bit worn in spots and the mirror is aged which makes me love them even more. Every time I walk past the desk and mirror or our bedroom furniture or the dining room table, or the letter desk in the front room or any of the other pieces here and there, fond memories come back of when we used to visit her in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario.

The desk has been sitting naked, looking sad and dreary, since we moved in to this house four years ago. That is, until my eye caught this lamp in HomeSense (my favourite store that I've only mentioned, oh, a few times...here, here and here).



I'm a big fan of finding affordable ways to make things look great so I found a few things I already had around the house to add to the arrangement.

The lamp cost $60 and the package of wicker balls cost $8.

What was once a dark, dreary desk...

Before



is now shining with life...

After


3 comments:

sheba said...

nice! our place needs some serious re-decorating...maybe you should come over. ;)

Rae said...

Very nice. You really made it look good.

Paula said...

Thanks, bklyn76 and Rae!