Thursday, July 23, 2009

Time for a change

Happy Thursday, everyone!

It's been raining here all day....yuck! Actually, I'm not minding the rain too much today because it gives me a chance to veg for a bit -- something I desperately need to do.

I took Luke to his swimming lesson this morning. We didn't end up going to Tims because he ate four pieces of toast this morning -- yes, I said FOUR! The only thing that stopped him from eating five pieces was that we were in a rush to get to swimming on time.

I went out for lunch yesterday with one of my bestest friends for sushi to our favourite little restaurant. Mmmm, sushi! She moved back from New York a few weeks ago and I'm so happy she's back.

After lunch, I realized how much I really missed her. She left six years ago on her own when I was pregnant with Lucas and is now back with a wonderful husband, the sweetest little boy and a cute dog too. She also made me realize that I'm stuck in a rut and that I've been stuck like this for awhile.

I had to leave work almost four years ago (next month will be four years) because of my MS. I had all these plans to get our house organized, workout, do things with my family while I still can. I haven't really done any of that. I don't know if it's this feeling that's making me more tired (is that even possible?), if it's the MS progressing, having two kids, or all of it combined. I seem to do so much for others that by the time I get to doing something for myself, I'm exhausted.

All these memories of before kids started flooding back the other day -- how Steve and I used to go out for dinner to nice restaurants (we never were clubbers or people who bar hopped), our camping trips, trips to Cuba, Costa Rica, Vancouver, New York, hanging out on the couch watching tv or movies without being interrupted. We haven't done those things in ages and I miss it.

I love having kids and doing things with them but everyone needs some downtime, to do something for them every so often that doesn't involve changing diapers, watching kids shows, playing referee or trying to tame a meltdown because they can't find one of those damn little Bakugan balls. I say this to myself but have yet to listen. It's just easier to say than actually do.

So, for the next little while I'm going to figure out what I can do to give me the lift I need. I've been doing some organizing around the house which is helping declutter my mind a bit. There is so much more to do though. I'm not very good at finding a place for everything so I've been searching for ideas on how to better organize my life, house and everything in between. If you have any good tips, websites, books or suggestions please let me know. I'm on a mission to get my life in order!

I think I'll also work on this blog a bit since it's been helping me find myself. I'm trying to figure out how to design a new masthead/banner but I'm not very artsy. I'll keep plugging away at it though.

I've also enjoyed reading other peoples blogs as well. It's amazing how many blogs are out there and I seem to find a new one daily. It's like a whole new world to me!

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories. I'm really enjoying the reads.

2 comments:

sheba said...

So glad you are going to take time for yourself [finally!].

And I'm so happy to be within driving distance from you once again!

Living Day to Day with Multiple Sclerosis said...

Great Post! I know we all get in a rut like that. I love when I get that rush to start changing things. Be careful not to do too much in one day. Change is good for the mind, body and soul.