Friday, July 3, 2009

TGIF

I'm finally getting a moment to myself. It's been a long day.

Both kids were home today. The minute daddy left for work, Lucas wanted a friend over to play. This was at 8:15 in the morning. Asking for a friend to come over to play this early in the morning is pretty much becoming a ritual now that school is out. I was able to postpone calling a friend until 9:30am which is when he found out that there were no friends home to play with.

And cue meltdown.

An almost 2 HOUR meltdown.

I keep saying to myself that one day I'll write about his tantrums. I think it might be therapeutic for me to talk about them. They have been very trying to say the least. I have never seen another child so intense when it comes to having a tantrum but I'm sure there are other parents out there who are dealing with the same type of tantrums we have to deal with. I have yet to find them but I'm sure they're out there. Maybe if I write about the tantrums, someone will say "I know exactly how you feel because we're dealing with the same thing". I think a lot of weight would be lifted from my shoulders the day I find these people.

Lucas is such a sweet boy that people are usually shocked when I tell them about his tantrums or taken back when they walk into our world while Luke's having one. They don't understand how I can remain so calm. We've been dealing with them for 4 years or so now that it doesn't seem to phase me much anymore. It just drains me.

One day I actually filmed him while he was having a tantrum and then showed the video to him. He wasn't impressed. I think he was a bit shocked, maybe even a bit scared at the way he was acting. Having a tantrum is one thing but I guess seeing yourself having a tantrum is another. I wish I had filmed today's tantrum. It was a doozy and not one I care to write about right now. Let's just say it brought me to tears.

Thankfully, the day ended on a nice note. We all went out for dinner to Swiss Chalet.

Lucas fell asleep in the car on the ride home.

Though she didn't fall asleep in the car, Bella had an easier time falling asleep tonight (and before 9:30pm too...wahoo!).

This is another thing that's draining, putting our kids to bed. Bella needs someone to fall asleep with her, that someone being me. She has to be playing with my hair to fall asleep. If I even so much as flinch she grabs a hold of my hair even tighter. I keep telling myself that it won't last, that I'll one day be able to say goodnight to her and she'll put herself to bed. For now, I'll just take the extra cuddles.

1 comment:

Karla said...

Sorry to hear you are going through a hard time with your little one...but rest assured you are by far not the only one. Mine is still too little to throw tantrums (although I see that shining through her personality already) but my sisterinlaw is dealing with it daily with my nephew. The tantrums start when it's time to go to school...daily visits to the principal's office...daily defiance...to the point it makes his sisters cry...sigh...maybe little boys are just a touch more challenging?
ps mmmm swiss chalet ;)