Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Sugar rush


Lucas has swimming lessons every morning this week and then we head off to good ol' reliable Tim Hortons for brunch.

Today, after he finished his usual whole wheat bagel, not toasted, with cream cheese on the side and a vanilla yogurt with berries, he asked if he could have a donut. I told him if he wanted the donut then he would have to go up to the counter to get one by himself. As I passed him a toonie (a Canadian two dollar coin), a proud "I'm a big boy" grin started to spread across his face.

I showed him where the end of the line was. He stood there next to all the other people towering over him, trying to blend in while the giants glanced down below at this mini version of them grinning from ear to ear.

"I'm getting a donut!" he explained as if he had to state his purpose in line.

Lucas got up to the counter, his chin barely touching the top, he opened his hand to display his somewhat shiny coin that looked over sized in his small little palm and asked for his deep fried circle of sugary goodness.

The ultimate sugar rush!

As I watched the red, blue and yellow sprinkles melt on the sides of his mouth, I was amazed at just how big a donut can appear when a kid is eating it. Even next to Luke's head. This was a boy who always needed buttons around his neck or two sizes bigger in hats just for his head to fit. I guess he's finally growing into his head.

Sniff, my boy is growing up.

Next he'll be asking if he can have the keys to the car. He already asked if he could have his own cellphone on the way home.

2 comments:

Living Day to Day with Multiple Sclerosis said...

What a great picture!! Yes, they grow up very fast!!! Enjoy every moment with him now.

sheba said...

oh my, that brought a tear to my eye even though i'm giggling at the sight of luke ordering his donut. and now i want one too. damn you!