Monday, July 27, 2009

Black is back: Our Kitchen

We moved to our current house back in July of 2005. The kitchen in this house is the opposite of everything our kitchen in our old house was -- meaning what was light cabinets and white appliances are now dark cabinets and black appliances.

For five years we have been living with a white toaster oven. It's been the only white appliance in our kitchen aside from the white KitchenAid mixer that sits in my basement collecting dust (oh how I miss you mixer). We've been living with this toaster oven for five years for one because it has been working just fine, sure you had to make sure the bagels were face down when toasting or flip the toast half way through the timer but it still toasted, and also because I could not find one that I liked. Trust me when I say regardless of how many toaster ovens are out there, the right one is never there when you're looking for it.

Last week, we made a family trip to Costco. Not sure if we were just headed there for lunch (who can resist a cheap meal when you have kids...just a little kid-friendly tip) but whatever we were there for we obviously came home with more than we were looking for if we were even looking for anything specific, which I highly doubt.

So, as I was walking down the aisle of good ol' Costco, there perched high above the tower of boxes was a black, perfectly sized Black & Decker Toaster Oven for $20 off the original $70 price tag -- a $50 bargain!





I also found a black knife set with block at Costco for $50 (our other one was light wood and the knives had seen better days) and a black bread box that I found at Solutions.




Our kitchen table was a great find. It's fully open right now so it looks a bit big for the space. We found it at Costco for $900 a few years ago (have I mentioned I love Costco?). It came with 8 chairs with seat covers (covers I would never ever put on because I can just hear it now, "Oops! Mommy, I spilled).

The round mirror is from one of my favourite little shops in town called A Stones Throw. The store is in an old house and is one of those places where you just want to bring a coffee and get lost in the moment. They have such great pieces!



We only need four chairs at the kitchen table so the other four chairs are in the dining room. The table was my grandmother's table (I also have her bedroom set in our master bedroom and a few other pieces of hers around the house). I like the way the chairs work with the old table. Can you tell we rarely eat at this table -- note seat covers in place.



After I find some new light fixtures (not really sure what I'm looking for so suggestions would be great), my kitchen will be complete!

2 comments:

sheba said...

looks fantastic! can we have a costco date soon? i need a new hard drive as mine just died and i think i lost all my photos up to the end of 2007. :( and i'm looking for a toaster oven!

[and i want to see you!]

sheba said...
This comment has been removed by the author.