Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Paving Paradise

The bulldozers are here!





The neighbourhood tried so hard to stop a building from going up in our open green space beside the lake. It was a park that The Town felt wasn't being used enough. They were wrong. It was a place for people to kick a ball, fly a kite, throw a frizbee, run, pick dandilions -- a breathtaking spot.

In the end, we lost.



We did change the Town's view of what the building was going to look like. You should have seen it before. It was hideous. Thankfully, the design looks more like the surrounding houses than an eye sore.



So, what was once this...


Lucas flying a kite in the open green space



a picture I took driving into our community



will soon be this....





I laughed and rolled my eyes at this sign the first time I saw it. While the design of the building doesn't look all that bad, the picture is the side of the building that will be facing the water and not what you will see from the street. From the street you will see the back of the building -- a brick wall pretty much.



By day, a building that will probably hardly get used. By night, when the doors are locked, the neighbours have a bet on how long it will turn into the local midnight hangout. I know kids need somewhere to go but when you can't see behind this building from the street and it's dark, I don't want to even think of what might happen.



I really hope this building doesn't turn into a mistake. I'm praying that it adds to the community instead of becoming something that it wasn't meant to be.



Only time will tell.

No comments: