Friday, March 11, 2011

No news is good news, right?

As I mentioned, my last MRI came back saying that they couldn't quite get a good view of my Common Bile Duct on the scan so it was suggested I get an ultrasound. Great, I go in to get my back checked out and now they're going to find something else?

So, on March 1st, I went for a scheduled ultrasound of my abdomen to a hospital that I've never been fond of. The hospital I usually go to for tests was booked up for a few week. I could either wait or I could go in a few days to the other site. Big breath in. It's just a routine ultrasound. In and out, right?

I had no clue how long I was going to be there. Thirty minutes seemed too short. Even an hour was questionable. Paying for the whole day ought to do it.

I walked in and right then and there remembered why I wasn't a fan of this hospital. The walls looked old. The lights were dim. The ceilings were low. I felt like I was in a flea market as some guy had set up shop in the tiny front entrance selling clothes, bags, odds and ends. There was no nice information booth to register at or ask for help. I obviously looked lost as a lady who worked at the hospital asked if she could help me. She pointed me in the right direction and off I walked down the hall to a tiny little make-shift check in room.

After handing in my heath card, I was directed to sit in the open waiting room with a few other people watching the news on the wall TV provided for your entertainment. Only a few minutes passed, my name was called and off I went into a small little curtained off area where I was asked to change into a gown.

The hospital bed barely fit inside the little box of a room. The lady doing the ultrasound seemed nice. We didn't really talk much except for when she told me to turn this way and that.

It's amazing how many things run through your head while the test is being done -- why did you stop at that spot? what is she typing that? what's that beep for? why more gel? what can't she see? why does she need me to shift? All these small moves that seem so monumental at that very moment.

And that was it.

She said I was done and that the results would be back in about a week or so, or maybe 3 - 5 days. Why did she change how long the results would come back? Did she see something?

I looked at my watch. I was in and out in 40 minutes. I had a whole day left on my parking pass and not one sole in the parking lot to give it to.

Last Friday, four days after the ultrasound, I decided I would call my doctor and tell him the ultrasound was done and to call me to let me know if they had received the results or not. I didn't expect a phone call back that day, but Monday came and went and still no call. I called back Tuesday, get the answering machine, left a message mentioning I had already left a message on Friday and to call me back.

Why aren't they calling me back? There's something wrong and they're trying to figure out how to tell me and what the next steps will be, that's it, I'm sure of it.

Today is Friday, and I still haven't heard anything back from my doctor. Now I'm hoping that no news is good news. I remember I told the girl who checked me in for the ultrasound if she could also send a copy of the report to my neurologist. It's worth a shot. I gave my neurologist's office a call. The receptionist, I love this woman, picks up, checks my file, comes back to the phone, "It's all clear", she tells me.

The.best.words!

4 comments:

Lucky Girl said...

Such excellent news! Glad that your experience at a dingy hospital (I'd even hazard a guess as to which one you mean) had such good results!

An Ounce of Luck said...

woohoo...that's great...and what I would give to know which place you were talking about! =)

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Test results take forever to receive, it seems. Good for your news!
kim

sheba said...

phew! so happy for you!