Monday, April 27, 2009

And then it was dark

The power was out for about two hours on Saturday night due to a storm that came blowing into the area quite quickly.

Isabella was watching the Wiggles when it happened so I told her the Wiggles went bye-bye because the power went out.

Isabella: "No power. Wiggles broken."

When Isabella says power it sounds more like pow-way and when there's an S in a word she quickly becomes Sean Connery's distant relative.

Me: "Yes, no power. Wiggles broken."

...a minute later she looks at the TV...

Isabella: "watch Dora."

Me: "No, Bella. No power. No Dora. No Wiggles."

Isabella: "No power. No Dora. No Wiggles."

....another minute passes....

Isabella: "Watch Elmo."

Me: "No, Bella. No power. TV broken. No Dora. No Wiggles. No Elmo."

...another minute passes. Isabella goes to get a DVD...

Isabella: "Watch Hi-5."

Me: "No Bella. No power. No TV. No DVD. No VCR (yes, we still have one). No lights. No computer. No music. No Dora. No Wiggles. No Elmo. No Hi-5. Run along now and go get into something like other two years old."

Yes, I know, most people have portable DVD players these days or laptops that actually work without having to keep them constantly plugged into an outlet. I really should get up-to-date on all the gadgets out there. Um ya, don't ask me when I bought my cell phone. I'll be happy to let you that I don't need a breifcase to carry it in.

Now it was Luke's turn. He needed to know exactly when the power was going to come back on because heavens to goodness what would the poor lad do if he missed any of his shows that have only been repeated a dozen times or so. Then he started to get upset because what was he going to do without a hot dinner. I told him he could have a sandwich. He said he couldn't because he always has a hot dinner....which is complete bull considering he just had cereal, yogurt and fruit for dinner the night before. HERE KIDS, TAKE THESE MATCHES. GO LIGHT A FEW CANDLES AND ROAST US SOME MARSHMALLOWS FOR DINNER.

Thankfully, the power came back on at 8pm and the sun started shining in our house again!

What have I learned from all of this? My kids watch way too much TV because mommy is overworked and overtired from having to make hot meals every single night. Oh, and I need to buy a portable DVD player or a laptop that works without having to plug it in.

No comments: