I must admit, I have a pretty wonderful life surrounded by many beautiful things including my family and friends, but I wish I could go back and make a few changes here and there. I wish I would have applied myself more, pushed myself to work harder, traveled more, reached higher, volunteered more, been on school/community councils, and so many other things -- things that I never thought were important to me at the time and only realize now that I look back. And while I have added a few of these items to my life now, it's just not the same as if I would have started earlier in life. At least I still have the chance to do some catching up.
I was thinking the other day about what makes me happy. Happiness to me is watching joy rise on other peoples faces. The thought was sparked by recent articles in the newspaper called The Secret Life Of Girls and 2010's People to Watch. They talked about people following their dreams, their passion, about making a difference in the world. It made me think of my hopes and dreams for the future -- a vision of what I would love to be doing, a dream so big that it just seems so far fetched but I know not impossible. I wish so much that I could make that dream come true, but for now it's just a dream -- a dream that would help others, a dream to work together to make a change. A change that needs to happen. A change to better the lives of others and the world around them, around us.
I have known one of my dearest friends since she was born. I have a picture of me holding her when she came home from the hospital some 32 years ago. She is like a little sister to me, so much so that I even call her my little sister at times. She has a caring heart and a beautiful sole. The thing is, she has been battling health issues for more than half of her life. It has been a difficult road for her, her family, her friends, myself included, but a road that we will all travel with her until it's difficult no more.
I tear up every time I think about what she has to deal with, what she shouldn't have to deal with. I want to make her better but I know I can't, not on my own. It is a battle she has yet to win but not a battle that can't be won. It is something I will help her overcome -- a journey that I have been on with her (and will continue to take with her) every step of the way. I have been there since day one and will always be by her side.
My dear friend is the inspiration for my dream, my vision -- a hope for change that I know others hope for too.
"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Mahatma Gandhi
-Mahatma Gandhi
3 comments:
when we are headed up a hill sometimes it's those people who walk up it with us, knowing they can't make the hill go away, but walk with us nonetheless who make the summit seem closer.
how lucky your friend is to have you along for the journey.
well said, faiza. p, i don't know if it's your words or the fact that i know this friend too, but i'm trying to type this through tears. your friend is so lucky to have you. and you should be so proud of all that you've accomplished. you're an amazing woman, and i'm so proud to call you MY friend.
one word, Inspirational.
Good for you. Take care,
Lisa
Post a Comment