
Lucas, my five year old son, is the kind of big brother any sibling would be proud to have (most days anyway).
Yesterday morning while I was having a shower, the kids had a bath. Our bath is attached to the stand-up glass shower so I can see them (just had to clarify that so someone doesn't freak out thinking I left my kids alone in the tub).
My hair is covered in shampoo as Lucas announces he wants to get out of the bathtub. I try to encourage him to stay in (I like being there beside them to help them out) until I rinsed the shampoo out of my hair but he insists he can do it himself and is out in a heartbeat. Then of course Isabella wants to get out too and while I'm trying to tell her I'll just be a minute, I hear her foosteps on the tile.
"Don't worry, mom. I helped her out", Lucas says as he wraps her in a towel and then wraps himself in one as well.
They're both fine so I let them be so I can finish conditioning my hair.
Lucas grabs the blowdryer and starts to dry his hair. He calls for Isabella to come over and then starts drying her hair too. He puts the blowdryer back on the counter and both of them start walking out of the bathroom.
"Don't worry, mom. I'll take care of her", he says.
I tell him that Isabella needs a diaper on. He comes running back in the room with the diaper I had left on the bed with the rest of their clothes.
"I have one, mom", as he waves it into the bathroom.
"No, Lucas. You'll have to get a Pull-Up. There's one on the stairs. Bring it here and I'll put it on her", I tell him.
"I found it!", he says.
Lucas has left the bathroom door open just enough so I can kind of see both of them through the crack in the door. He's talking so sweetly to his sister as he helps her into the Pull-Up.
"Bella, lift your leg," he says to her softly as he helps her into her shorts.
He picks up her shirt and checks the tag to see which way it goes and then puts her shirt on over her head, as she reaches through the sleeves with her arms. He quickly gets himself dressed and finishes just as I 'm opening the bathroom door to let them know I'm done.
"Lucas, did you help get your sister dressed?", not letting him know that I had been spying on them the whole time.
He looks at me with a proud look in his eyes and then tilts his head back with a smile.
"Yes, Mama, I helped her. I even got her diaper on."
And then both of them start chasing each other around the room.
My heart melted right then and there.
I have two wonderful kids!
1 comment:
oh my, my heart just melted too. *sigh* so sweet.
Post a Comment