Friday, April 24, 2009

Ding...I'm done!

I did it! First injection done -- and I'm not foaming at the mouth....well, not yet anyway.

I had a nurse come over to help me out. Who knows what kind of mess I would have got myself into trying to do it on my own. I decided I would use the auto-injector which I was a bit hesitant to use. It reminds me of one of those meat thermometers...it even dings when it's done! The nurse prepped a needle with fake solution to show me how to do it. I watched thinking sure I'm going to remember all of this.

I can just see it now -- trying to ever so gently attach the bottle of medicine to the syringe, it slips, shoots into the air, everything turns into slow mode like on tv...reaching out my arms, trying to dive for the bottle, my eyes bludging out of my head while my mouth morphs into a huge open O -- "Noooo!"...get ready to duck, it ricochets off the light fixture, shatters a bulb, duck again, and then lands spinning in the middle of the floor. When I try again and finally get it just so, the liquid starts squirting from where the needle meets the medicine bottle while I'm trying desperately not to let go of the needle's plunger...bah!

Anyway, back to reality -- it was my turn. I watched drip after drip as the liquid fell into the medicine bottle thinking who was this brilliant person who thought this waiting period would be a good thing -- more time to sit and wonder which of the oh so lovely side effects might take over my body the second the medicine hits my bloodstream. I got everything all in order, put the needle in the injector, got ready to pull the trigger (or was it push the trigger...shesh, already I forget) and paused for way too long. "Just do it already", I told myself. Click....ding! Turkey's done....I mean, I did it!

Phew, and I only took 25% of the solution. Yes, you heard me right, a quarter of the solution. I'm easing into it. Doctors orders which I'm actually quite happy about. Maybe by doing it this way I'll only have to deal with the farting and spare myself from head meeting concrete.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I too use an auto injector. I prefer it over having to see the needle go into me. After about 3 times you will get the hang of it. Good luck to you! I hope your side effects aren't too awful.