Today is the day -- the day I have tried to avoid for 9 years. It's Betaseron Day! Maybe if I make it sound exciting I'll get the what the hell am I thinking injecting some foreign substance into my bloodstream off my mind a bit. I guess it doesn't help that the list of side effects is longer than my to-do list (and I thought that was long)...
back pain
constipation
decreased appetite
decreased sexual ability (for males)
diarrhea
difficulty sleeping
dizziness
drowsiness
flatulence (gas)
hair loss
headache or migraine
heartburn
injection site reactions (e.g., skin irritation, swelling, pain, bruising, itching, bleeding)
itchiness
flu-like symptoms (e.g., fever, chills, sweating, muscle aches, tiredness)
menstrual changes (e.g., pain, frequency)
muscle spasms
nausea
neck pain
skin irritation, swelling, or pain at the injection site
vomiting
Oh wait, it doesn't stop there...
abdominal pain
anxiety or nervousness
blurred vision
burning or tingling sensation of feet or hands
changes in blood pressure
chills or fever
decreased hearing
difficulty speaking
ear pain
eye pain
fainting
increased muscle tone
signs of blood problems (flu-like symptoms, bruises, or unusual tiredness)
signs of depression (feeling sad, losing interest in things you used to enjoy, weight changes, changes in sleep habits, feelings of guilt or worthlessness, thoughts of suicide)
signs of heart problems (swollen ankles, shortness of breath, tightness in the chest, decreased ability to exercise, increased heart rate)
signs of liver problems (yellow eyes or skin, abdominal pain, dark urine or pale stools, easy bruising)
signs of thyroid problems (weight changes, feeling constantly hot or cold, changes in sleep patterns)
signs of unusual infections (symptoms may include fever or chills, severe diarrhea, shortness of breath, prolonged dizziness, headache, stiff neck, loss of voice, weight loss, or listlessness)
signs of urinary tract infections (bloody or cloudy urine, need to urinate more frequently, pain on urination, or strong urge to urinate)
tremor
unusual tiredness or weakness
So, if you see me jittering down the sidewalk, farting along with my eyes all yellow, my body dripping with sweat, gasping for air, don't be too disappointed if I don't answer when you call my name as I probably can't hear or see you anyway...or I'm on the verge of a seizure or heart attack so you better come catch me before my head bounces off the concrete.
Tell me this will all be worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment