Sunday, May 3, 2009

Take me out to the ball game


Today we took the Go Train to the Skydome to watch a Blue Jays game. Yes, I know the Skydome lost it's name in 2005 and became the Rogers Centre but it will always be the Skydome to me. You can't just up and change a name of something that is so important to Toronto and expect all Torontonians (and the rest of the world) to just accept it like that. It takes time...and in my case maybe my lifetime. It's like saying "Hi, my name is Paula. Oh wait, no, I think I'll be Sue from now on". Who does that (unless you're in the witness protection program or an actor)? What's next, the CN Tower? Will Rogers buy that too and call it something as equally creative like the Rogers Tower. Um, ya, I better just shut my mouth now. Actually, I thought there was talk once about a name change. I guess it did kind of change it's name back in 1995 from Canadian National Tower to Canada's National Tower but everyone knows it as the CN Tower. Ok, ok, before you think I'm all up-to-date on my Canadian history, for your information I just googled CN Tower. I bet if you were to stop people on the streets of Toronto and asked them where Canada's National Tower is you would probably get a lot of blank stares with that "Eh?" look on their face in true Canadian fashion. It's the CN TOWER! I should twitter (or should that be tweet?) Kevin Frankish from Breakfast Television (a must watch every weekday morning) and suggest they make that their next question on the street.

Anyway, we were coming back from the ball game, walking outside the Go Train Station to the car when Lucas saw a man sitting on a bench...

Lucas: Look. Look over there, Mommy. There's a genie!!!!! Hi genie! wave wave Genie, HI!!!! wave wave LOOK A REAL GENIE!!!!!

Me: No, Lucas. It's a man wearing a turban. Hurry along now...and my name is Sue not mommy.

No comments: