Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tuesday Ramblings

[The Toronto Star article on The Bee's Knees blog]

Last night I wrote a list of things I want to do today but instead I'm sitting on the couch trying to take in as much rest as I can. I made myself some coffee, read the Toronto Star and started reading a blog called The Bee's Knees after reading an article about it in today's newspaper (it inspired today's post). Today is the last day for a long while where I will get to do this -- have time for myself, for my body to rest when it needs to. School is out, it's Luke's last day at daycare and while other mom's are probably a bit excited to share some extra time with their kids this summer, all I can think about is how am I ever going to keep up with my child? I feel bad keeping Bella in daycare this summer but I don't know how I would ever manage keeping two of them busy without finding myself on the floor gasping for energy. It's not that she completely hates daycare but I know she would rather be at home. The thing is, when she's at home all she wants to do is cling and hang off me -- it's completely draining at times but I do love the cuddles and how happy she is when she's doing it.

I had my neurologist check-up this month. I always walk in with a smile, and did this time too, but when he asked me how I was I flat out told him I felt like crap. I had to stop the Betaseron injections a few months ago. It was draining me and didn't feel like it was making a positive impact on life with Multiple Sclerosis. So, now I'm trying a medcation called Cymbalta which is supposed to combat nerve pain. I started with a half dose and worked up to the full dose. It's been just over two week since I started taking it and while I'd liked to say the drug is working I'm still not quite sure. I never thought I could be any more tired than I usually am but this medication has me napping. Yes, NAPPING -- something I never do and never have been able to do. I've been going to bed early too. I guess you could say I'm truly tired rather than my usual drained self. The weirdest thing that has happened while being on this drug is the yawning fits. About six to eight hours after taking it I start yawning uncontrollably. At first I thought nothing of it but them people started noticing and then we started timing it. Like clock work I tell ya! I've heard this tiredness side effect will subside which is something to look forward to. Now that I think about it, Cymbalta might be working a bit. Let's hope because nothing else I've tried ever seems to do much.

My last sip of coffee is done. I best get on with my day. Enjoy yours too!

4 comments:

Faiza said...

You are so inspiring to me! I think of you often and often say a little prayer for you.

HUGS.

Karla said...

I have been curious about how you've done on Betaseron...I gave it up after a year and a half of feeling like crap on it. Glad to know it wasn't just me. After baby comes I think I will try Copaxone....fingers crossed it is better for me...hope you are feeling better and getting much needed rest...

sheba said...

{hug} i'm continually amazed at your resilience. i'm around all summer to keep you company. love you.

Paula said...

@Faiza - Thank you xo

@Karla - I've been thinking of you lately and wondering how you were doing with the injects. Hope you are doing well. We'll have to catch up soon!